Majuli Island the largest freshwater river Island of South Asia
Majuli, the largest freshwater river island of South Asia is on the Brahmaputra River, in the Indian state of Assam. Majuli has a very rich cultural heritage and has been the abode of Assamese Vaishnavaite culture. Majuli being the cultural capital and the cradle of Assamese civilization, it is declared as World heritage site of cultural landscape.
In Majuli Tour package you will enjoy ferry ride on Island and explore other Tribal villages of Majuli which includes Dakhinpat Satra, Garamurh Satra, Auniati Satra, Kamalabari Satra and Bengenaati Satra. Package starts from Guwahati by Ferry OR Car depends upon your choice and cover given villages of Maju
Things to keep in mind before traveling
- Unlike other North East, you don’t need to obtain an Inner Line Permit and a Protected Area Permit but if you plan to visit other North East states then the permits can be collected from Delhi, Kolkata, Guwahati or Tezpur airports.
- The weather in the north-east is pretty unpredictable, so be prepared to have delays due to the bad weather.
- Most roads are being converted to double lane road, so at the moment the roads aren’t in the best shape.
- Locals are friendly and helpful. Be patient as not everyone will know fluent Hindi or English.
- Most cell phone networks don’t work well, so inform your family or friends about your whereabouts whenever possible.
- Don’t forget to carry some ready to cook food packets or instant noodles if you’re strictly a vegetarian.
- Carry extra batteries, power banks and most importantly warm clothing.
- Keep at least a couple of extra days in hand in case of any problems like landslides and bad weather on your way.
Day 1: Arrive from Guwahati airport or railway station and then drive towards to Jorhat which is 350 km. Enroute have lunch at a good restaurant and then head towards Jorhat. In the evening you may visit a nearby market if you need to buy some stuff or browse the area then overnight stay at Jorhat.
Day 2: After breakfast start your day in Jorhat which is famous as Asia’s famous Golf course destination. Visit Historic Garh Ali, Bilvesvar Shiva Temple, Tocklai Tea Research Center and Gymkhana club famous club provides Golf Courses, billiards, polo, and tennis grass courts. After sightseeing visit nearest restaurant for lunch and enjoy taste of Jorhat cuisines. Later visit some more famous excursion which makes your day enjoyable which includes Hollongapar Gibbon wildlife Sanctuary Enjoy your half day at sanctuary by involving in wildlife environment. By the evening return to hotel and overnight stay with dinner at Jorghat Hotel.
Day 3: After breakfast you will visit Nimati Ghat to board a boat for Majuli, It is a once in a life time experience. One has to cross the river Brahmaputra to reach Majuli. Upon arrival you have time to visit explore Monasteries and satars of Majuli, later you may have lunch at any food zone in village. In the evening you have freedom to go for evening walk into market of these villages. Overnight stay with dinner at Majuli resorts.
Day 4: After breakfast you will be taken to Majuli, the largest river island in the world amidst the mighty river Brahmaputra. Majuli is a cultural centre of the Vaisnavite sector of Hinduism of the great Assamese socio-religious reformer Sankardeva. Enjoy your full day at Island. By the evening, enjoy ferry ride at Majuli Island. After that you will come back to hotel/ Resort
Day 5: Head towards Kaziranga National Park.