- Trek in a little know valley in Nagaland
- Soak in the stunning natural landscapes
- Observe many verities off wild flowers
- Get a feel of local hospitality and cuisine
Duration: 2-3 days
Grade: Easy to moderate gradients. Steep incline trek of 3-4 kms going through rocky pebbles and stones.
Max Altitude: 2438m
Best Season: Late June till July & September (Except Monsoon). It is at this time that the valley is carpeted with various stunning and vibrant flowers. The wild rhododendrons andliliess will be in full bloom during this season and hence the best time to marvel the beauty of this valley.
Things to keep in mind before traveling
- Every tourist visiting Nagaland needs to obtain an Inner Line Permit and a Protected Area Permit which can be collected from Delhi, Kolkata, Guwahati or Tezpur airports.
- The weather in the north-east is pretty unpredictable, so be prepared to have delays due to the bad weather.
- Most roads in the north east are being converted into double lane roads so the roads right now aren’t in the best shape.
- Locals are friendly and helpful. Be patient as not everyone will know fluent Hindi or English.
- Most cell phone networks don’t work well, so inform your family or friends about your whereabouts whenever possible.
- Don’t forget to carry some ready to cook food packets or instant noodles if you’re strictly a vegetarian.
- Carry extra batteries, power banks and most importantly warm clothing.
- Keep at least a couple of extra days in hand in case of any problems like landslides and bad weather on your way.
The state has its airport in Dimapur, which is regularly serviced by major airlines (Indigo & Air India). The city is linked to Kolkata by air. Tourists then have to travel to Kohima by road after reaching Dimapur. It takes 2 and a half hours to reach Dimapur by road.
A good road network covers the state. The state capital Kohima is linked to Shillong and Guwahati, which are important cities in North Eastern India. First proceed to Dimapur and then travel to Kohima.
The major railway station in the state is Dimapur, which is linked to Guwahati. Guwahati is in turn connected to the rest of the country by important trains.
Getting to/from: Dzukou Valley Trek can be attempted from Viswema Village or Zakhama. The more popular route is from Viswema Village side. To reach Viswema Village, it takes 25-30 minutes from Kohima.
- Guides and Porters: Guides and Porters can be hired from Viswema Village. But the trail is very prominent throughout with sign boards and guides/porters are not required.
Permits: No special permits required for Dzukou Valley. For Nagaland, an inner line permit is required which can be obtained from Nagaland House at Kolkata, Guwahati or Dimapur. There is an entry fee of Rs 30 per person for entering Dzukou Valley.
Porter and Guides Availability: The trek is very prominent throughout the top and one can easily find the way without the help of any guide. The porters and guides are mostly the villagers living in the village. The trek grade is easy to moderate and hence nine out of ten times, no porter or guide is required.
Day 1: Dimapur to Kigwema
Pickup from Dimapur airport and drive to Kigwemavillage . If time permits we will visit the World War II cemetery in Kohima . O/n at a homestay in Kigwema village
Day 2: Kigwema to Dzukou valley
After breakfast drive to Viswema, the start point of our trek to Dzukou valley. A steep four kilometer climb through mixed scrub and bamboo forest will get us up to our destination . This wwll established stone path will take us around 4 to 5 hours. O/n in a dormitory
Day 3: Dzukou valley
Today we will explore the valley, soaking in the pristine natural beauty of this place. Enjoy the solitude of the place, to connect with your natural surroundings. We will also walk to the source of the Dzukou and Japfu rivers. O/n in a dormitory
Day 4: Dzukou valley to Kigwema
We will descend down via a different path , which is shorter but steeper , getting us out at Jakhama village . From here we drive back to our homestay . O/n at a homestay in Kigwema
Day 5: Kigwema to Dimapur
After breakfast drop to Dimapur airport.